Keep rollin’ rollin’ rollin’…
The Florida craft beer train keeps rolling along, with events and news and general wonderfulness everywhere you look. I am working on numerous projects concurrently, from articles to events to grandiose plans to take over the world (the same thing we do every night, Pinky), and it is easy to forget about the day to day. Well, here are some great things to plan for or think about.
The coming weeks offer beer lovers on both sides of the bay some great choices for entertainment and activity.
Although it is a month off, tickets are now available for Dunedin Brewery’s Stogies & Stout night. This is an awesome event, and really should not be missed. I have been the past two years, and the beers are amazing, the crowd is awesome, and the music is always fun. And, if you like cigars, those are great too! Your $35 ticket gets you into the event with a commemorative glass, choice of cigar, and a sampling of all available stouts. Here is the list so far of the beers being poured:
From Dunedin Brewing:
- Dunedin Brewery Nitro Stout
- Dunedin Brewery Nitro Coffee Bean Stout
- Dunedin Brewery CO2 Stout
- Dunedin Brewery 2012 Leonard Croon’s Old Mean Stout
- Dunedin Brewery Leonard Croon’s Old Mean Coffee Bean Stout
- Dunedin Brewery Leonard Croon’s Old Mean Vanilla Bean Stout
- Dunedin Brewery Leonard Croon’s Old Mean Black Cherry Stout
- Dunedin Brewery Leonard Croon’s Old Mean Peppermint Stout
- Nitro Croon
- Dunedin Brewery Leonard Croon’s Old Mean Mocha Pepper Stout (cask)
- Dunedin Brewery Cookies ‘n Croon (cask)
From Stone Brewing:
- 2008 Imperial Russian Stout (bottles)
- 2010 Imperial Russian Stout
- 2011 Imperial Russian Stout
- 2011 Belgo-Imperial Russian Stout
In addition, here are some others:
- Terrapin 2011 Wake & Bake – Imperial Coffee Oatmeal Stout
- Terrapin Moo Hoo – Chocolate Milk Stout
- Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout
- Cigar City Patio Tools Irish Dry Stout
- Bell’s Cherry Stout
- Bell’s Double Cream Stout
- Bells Java Stout
- Bells 2010 Expedition Stout
- Swamphead Midnight Oil
- Swamphead Catherine’s Passion
- Fort Collins Double Chocolate Stout
Next week, on Thursday night (January 26th), the Ale & The Witch in downtown St. Petersburg is having a Swamp Head Brewery Night featuring beers from the Gainesville brewery. From 6 – 9pm they will offer $4.50 pints of Big Nose IPA, Midnight Oil, Stumpknocker, Wild Night, and Cotton Mouth. Also available (at regular price) will be Catherine’s Inspiration Imperial Stout, Saison du Swamp, and Hoggetowne Irish Red. From 6 – 7, there will be a “keep the glass” promo while supplies last. As always at The Witch, there will be great live music, Thursday’s guest being the Amber Lynn Nicol trio. This will be the first of many “Brewery Nights” at The Witch for 2012.
The following week, The Witch will be celebrating their one year anniversary on February 2nd. Details are coming soon, but owner Brett Andress always puts on a great party, and they have been such a great success story not only for the craft beer community in Tampa Bay, but for businesses in downtown St. Petersburg.
Bootlegger’s Beer and Wine Home Brew Supplies in Brandon are celebrating their 2nd Anniversary with a party on Sunday the 22nd at their shop. There will be sampling of wine and beer, as well as music, food, and a brewing demonstration. Owners Darcy and Carol will play host to the Bootleggers Brandon Homebrew Club as well, who will be sampling some of their own creations. The event is free and open to all, especially those interested in home brewing.
Less than a month after their official opening, 7venth Sun Brewing is already having their first “special release” party. “Cold Roses”, a sour brown ale matured in oak with tart cherries, will be sold in corked and caged 750ml bottles for $30 on Tuesday, January 24th in their tasting room in Dunedin. There will also be a raffle to buy the 12 bottles. The brewery will open at 5pm, and The Cajun Cafe will on hand offering complementary samplings of their excellent, freshly cooked, authentic Cajun and Louisiana Cuisine. There will also be some “sweet surprises from Aunt Sara’s Cupcakery.”
Finally, some very exciting news to tease with. While details are still being worked out, March 3 – March 10 will be the first ever Tampa Bay Beer Week! With events, tastings, dinners, and so on, it should prove to be a fantastic opportunity for the Tampa Bay craft beer scene to really shine. As always, as details emerge I will report on them as soon as I get them!